There are many way that you can help Genesis House.
This information will help you put together a donation drive for Genesis House Domestic Violence Shelter. Please read through it carefully. If you have questions, please contact the Genesis House Donations Coordinator, Rochelle Holley at (440) 244-1853 or (440) 323-3400.
Genesis House provides shelter for women and children fleeing domestic violence. Unfortunately, the women and children coming to shelter usually arrive with little more than the clothes on their backs; therefore, we are constantly in need of items that will assist the basic needs of our women and children during their shelter stay and as they transition from homelessness to housing.
Genesis House depends upon donations of all types (cash, non perishable food, personal hygiene products, new clothing, and household items) to help people meet their basic needs.
Thank you for helping us meet those needs by organizing a donation drive.
1. Choose an item (or items) to focus your drive on. We have found that choosing one or two items, such as hygiene products, paper products or pajamas works best.
2. Decide the length of your drive. It can go a week, a month, or a season. It can even be ongoing.
3. Get permission from your company or church to place a collection receptacle in a spot that people can find. We recommend barrels or large, colorfully decorated boxes. Depending upon the time of the year, we may have barrels to lend you.
Please call us at (440) 244-1853 or (440) 323-3400 to find out.
4. Advertise! Place an article in your newsletter. Give a talk during the mission portion of your church service. Create signs. Don’t forget to put signs on your donation receptacle! Tell people what donation(s) you are seeking and who the donations will be helping. (See the sample newsletter article, speech and sign at the end of the document).
5. Decide on a schedule for donation delivery. Perhaps you will wait until the donation barrel is full. Or perhaps you will drop off donations on a weekly basis.
6. Theme Donation Drive Examples:
We are always in need of items from our Wish List. These items are used for the women and children in shelter. We also continue to support those women and their children after they have left shelter as they continue to build a new life for themselves.