The Genesis House, Lorain County’s only domestic violence shelter, has multiple county-wide campaigns and awareness events running this month and a new exciting education and prevention effort to announce this Domestic Violence Awareness Month.
Domestic Violence Awareness Month was first introduced in 1981 by the National Coalition Against Domestic Violence. It was created not only to bring more awareness but to connect and unify the millions of victims and their loved ones that had been affected due to this crime.
Every year, around 10 million people become victims of domestic violence, about 20 people every minute. In Lorain County, there have been more domestic homicides in the past 6 months than in the past 3 years.
This crime is often done in private; October is our opportunity to be loud with our efforts and remind survivors that we see them, we are here to help and we care. It is also an opportunity to remind batterers that this behavior is unacceptable, we see them and we are dedicated to holding them accountable.
· Purple ribbons will be on display all month along the new and improved Broadway Ave in the city of Lorain. Thanks to the support of Main Street Lorain, purple ribbons will be on trees, lampposts, flower pots and signs.
· Purple ribbons will be up for the month on LCCC Main Campus
· Purple ribbons will be up in Ely Square from Oct 5th-Oct 13th.
Empty Seat at the Table Displays:
Displays can be found at:
· Avon Lake United Church of Christ
· What the Cupcake
· Lorain Metro Housing Authority Sites
· Cornerstone Pregnancy Services
· Elyria Library
· Chemical Bank
· Elyria Municipal Court
· Family Planning Services
· Lorain County Community College (Main Campus)
· Lorain County Community College (Lorain Campus)
· Lorain County Community College (Wellington Campus)
· MHARS Board
· We Care, We Share
· New Bethel Primitive Baptist Church
The Silent Witness Exhibit
· On display at the Lorain Arts Council location (737 Broadway Ave, Lorain Ohio 44052). Follow https://www.facebook.com/LorainCountySafeHarborGenesisHouse for hours.
Love Shouldn’t Hurt Podcast:
· We are starting a podcast! Titled Love Shouldn’t Hurt, this podcast will be an educational podcast dedicated to sharing life-saving information about intimate partner violence.